3/10/11

The Wanted (The Wanted) - Golden?

These guys slowly crept up to be my current favorite band.  Any band.  Boy.  Girl. "Man".  Poser.  Any type of band.  With their upcoming comic relief single to be released this Sunday, I think it is most appropriate at this time that I review their debut album.  I must say, this is quite a solid album for a debut.  Yes, we do have some of the typical formulatic boyband tracks (give thanks to NKOTB), but surprisingly, there are other tracks you would not have literally expect to find any type of "boyband" to sing.  Unless if it's Take That, since they're all out on experimenting now.  Well that's the thing about The Wanted.  They're actually a band I can honestly spread apart from the others because of how distinct their music is.  For instance, JLS, The Saturdays, Shayne Ward, and those other bubble heads have that.. Well, current 2011 bubblegum pop.  One Direction, they could just be another Take That 2.0 or make records just like these guys... And then you've got the alternative bands, Coldplay, The Script, Kings Of Leon and etc.  Hence, The Wanted in a sense is more of a twist of bubble pop and alternative, which I think is why they're music is quite an ear-opener to the public.


01. All Time Low
I wasn't too keen on this track at first.  What made it more worse for me was how I've first heard the track on their music video, which was utterly... Horrifying.  I think if I were to forever avoid the music video, with their awkward posing and jumping, all sorts that seem unappealing and unnatural, I think I'll be fine listening to this song.  Because after all, it isn't so bad really. / B+

02. Heart Vacancy
This right here is typical boyband material.  But you know what.  Who cares.  It's songs like these (ie.  JLS' Love You More) that literally makes your heart melt.  That kind of feeling where you think, oh yes.  I can relate to this, or hey.  It's a love song, I really dig this.  / B

03. Lose My Mind
I honestly would have to give thanks to Cahill, because without Cahill, I wouldn't have the urge to listen to 'Gold Forever', which lead me on to listening to the original version of this track, which then lead me on to listening to this album, and then into overall liking the The Wanted.  So I truly bless you, Cahill.  Forget about the Kings Of Leon rip-off, this track is perfect, and it is a travesty it only had to land in #19 on the charts. Glory chorus. / A+

04. Replace Your Heart
The Wanted shifts back gears into another melodramatic girl crush song.  (Stares attentively to Heart Vacancy)  Hence, it's nothing special other than a catchy beat, and.. Of course. Max George's seductive vocals.  / C-

05. Hi & Low
Ultimately, this is the highlight track of this album, by far.  Now lets think about it.  Could you expect any typical pop star aiming a song like this?  By pop star, I mean the likes of Cheryl Cole, The Saturdays, and JLS.  Not a single pence they would.  Imagine them singing this song. Neither would ever successfully bring this track blissfully into life as much as Jay can.  The lads should truly salute to Jay's outstanding vocals to this one.  If any were to go solo, I'd instantly buy Jay's album if he keeps up singing tracks like these.  It's just mindblowing how this track suddenly appeared on this album when it could have easily been ripped from Colday or The Fray.  A-MA-ZING. / A+

06. Let's Get Ugly
Uh.  I could've sworn it's the millennium all over again while listening to this track.  I'll least give the guys an A for effort, but all in all. This track, to be frank, is quite ugly... / D

07. Say It On The Radio
One of the stronger tracks on the album.  The production here is spot on, the vocals are pitch perfect, the characterization is on check, and on top of that, a solid punchy chorus.  Thus, this is which you really need to make a brilliant pop track.  I can really hear the group effort coming along well with this track, which is a definite plus when you think of how artists want to take themselves seriously. Nice well done lads. / A

08. Golden
A nice filler track.  It's a filler, because it's a track you would automatically think of it not as single material. Still, it's a pleasant song. / B

09. Weakness
Quality track.  To be honest, I don't think this fits Nathan's vocals at all in track.  Hence, the speakerphone effect that used near the end of his part.  As a whole anyways, neither of his vocals suit at all in any of these tracks to be realistic.  His voice is just too bluesy and R&B-ish, I actually quite feel bad that he'd have to endure some of these tracks that are ultimately not his style!  Need more proof?  Try hearing his vocal runs during TW's live performances (eg, Their Lose My Mind performance on the X-Factor). / B

10. Personal Soldier
Another great track.  Lyrics aren't actually that tacky, considering the symbolism and all.  Their harmonies blended well, solid effort. / B

11. Behind Bars
This could have been an amazing single.  Although, I'm not too sure if it'll succeed, since it was such a surprise that Lose My Mind did not.  Maybe there's was just people that were a tad turned off with the KOL gimmick.  But this track, has none of that.  It's a brilliant pop track that would blend in well on the radio. And again with Nathan's vocals, quite distracts the brilliant end kick to the song. / A

12. Made
Not an overall standout, but again.  It's another solid, consistent track in addition to the album.  Glad The Wanted has more of these type of rock, contemporary songs coming around and less of that BB turd. / B+

13. A Good Way For Love To Die
Like I said about everything on the previous track, it's another great pop/rock track. / B+

14. The Way I Feel
Of course in every boyband album, there's always got to be that one specific track that's a complete curveball and something unexpected, and this is the song that encounters it.  Well I guess you can say the Irish theme fits to one of the lad's heritage, which is Siva, who is Irish.  Strange, for a moment I thought that guy with the curly hair were (for sure) to be the Irish person.  Surprise?!  Anywho, this gallantly sing-a-long song is just the right of measure to perfectly end an overall appealing, and quite appetizing album.  / B-

OVERALL:  The thing is though, once you hear each of these dudes' vocals individually, you'd get a piece of something alternative and different.  To explain this further, you got Max; who generally has the perfect raspy tone that perfectly suits the being of a lead vocal.  Tom; the scruffy, rocky edge that completes the more harder and edgier verses to a song.  Jay; the more softer toned and clear voice that would do flawless in any contemporary rock song.  Siva; I can't exactly see his voice fitting in any type of genre, other than a cartoon character.  But although, he definitely suits best for backing vocals.  And of course, Nathan, who I've explained his distinctive voice countless times on a few of these tracks.  Overall, the album's quite inconsistent with the rock-edge anthems alongside the boyish themes. When you think of it as a whole though, it totally fits and shapes the album into a splendid, pop album.  You never can go wrong without a bit of 'Girl, I need you so' or 'Girl, please don't let me go I'm torn'-type of lyrics.  Great debut.

Recommended tracks:
All Time Low, Lose My Mind, Hi & Low, Say It On The Radio, Behind Bars.

B+

No comments:

Post a Comment