12/27/10

Juku's 15 Best Albums Of 2010


It's that time of year where everyone looks back at their record collections, plot them down, have a sip of their coffee, and organize their most favorable albums of 2010.  Maybe it's just me who does this, including sipping hot coffee, but it surely helps me decide these well deserved albums.  The year in music of 2010 was quite something.  This, no doubt, has been the year where I tried to expand my variety of different genres.  However, I am still trying to find that perfect album, an album that doesn't familiarize my taste in music, and fully embrace and engage to it.  Hopefully next year there will be an album that will provide me something quite as that.  Obviously, there were tons of albums that were released this year, so I'm just going to countdown the albums I have bought and listened to throughout this special year.  Here they are:


1. Take That - Progress

Without a doubt, this was the best, well-rounded album I have ever bought in years!  I might look at back at this and see how totally exaggerative I was about saying this, but truthfully, I don't think I ever will.  If I look back at this in ten years, I may even think it sounds dated and brilliant just as I still think that Back For Good sounds as good and current as more than half of the music released this year.  if you're looking for a perfect pop album, this is it! Listen to: Pretty much every track.

2. Glee: The Music, Vol. 3
This album generally tracks amazing covers, full and throughout.  Of course, if you're that much of a gleek, then perhaps you might want to get this album because you are definitely missing out!  Listen to: One Less Bell to Answer / A House Is Not a Home, Total Eclipse Of The Heart, One, I Dreamed A Dream.







3. The Saturdays - Headlines
This overall was a very fun, pretty pop album that will certainly fit any occasion.  The only downside are there are only a few amount of new tracks.  The good thing at least is that there are some tracks are amazingly true gems, and good enough to keep this album.  Listen to: Missing You, Higher, Died In Your Eyes.
4. Bruno Mars - Doo Wops & Hooligans
One of the greater artists that came out this year was the very talented Bruno Mars.  This album truly proves how Mars is the real deal.  Despite him having two great, powering singles plus amongst the many collabs he has done this year, Mars no doubt has definitely left a mark this year for staying true to his craft. Unlike many artists today that has sold out to the sleazy electro, dance pop scene, Mars had his own distinct style of music (which is like a blue-sy, modern R&B contemporary type) that not many artists this year could endure of it being as extremely successful as he has done it this year, which indeed is impressive.  Listen to: Marry You, The Lazy Song, Count On Me.

5. Olly Murs - Olly Murs
Last year's X-Factor runner-up, Olly Murs, came out with an album this year that contained full force, jam packed, eargasmic tracks - which is great to have for an artist's debut album.  I'm usually worried about how his next album will cope to be though, considering many artists I've heard over the past year has done what he has done, which was to create a dynamic album, then afterwards disappointingly creating a sloppy effort on their sophomore album.  I have high hopes for Murs, as I'm not disappointed with the singles/videos he has released thus far this year.  Listen to: Thinking Of Me, Busy, Ask Me To Stay.

6. Kris Allen - Kris Allen
I know this was technically released in 2009, but was eager to get it this year after hearing his debut single. Ehem, no, not that oh so gooey 'No Boundaries', but the other one.  Aside from the two listed above, this as well was a solid debut.  A bit outdated, but whilst you listen to the album, you get the feeling where his music is heading from, which, is a modern pop, blues, soft rock type of feel.  I felt as well there weren't any filler tracks that haven't brought me to tears in this album, which definitely is a plus.  Listen to: Before We Come Undone, The Truth, Let It Rain.

7. Kylie Minogue - Aphrodite
'Aphrodite' definitely proves how much of a goddess Kylie is.  I swear, this woman is perfection.  She's kind, genuine, humble, fierce, milf?  This album for sure is great for a night out, or a cruise during the night.  Ultimately, this album shows how this woman definitely still is the queen of dance.  Screw the other granny coochies while you have Kylie!  Listen to: Everything Is Beautiful, Too Much, Can't Beat The Feeling

8. Grum - Heartbeats
This album is electronically amazing.  Blissful, an incredible pack of fresh tracks that are impeccable, new and eventful.  Tracks that are just out of this world really.  I truly doubt there is no other artist in this generation that can create such distinct, funky, clever tracks as Grum does.  Listen to: Through The Night, Heartbeats, Turn It Up.

9. Mike Posner - 30 Minutes To Takeoff
Another new artist that suddenly burst in the mainstream, Mike Posner.  What struck me the most about this artist was the fact that he began his fame on his Myspace, which basically how Lily Allen started her career as well.  This surprises me because of the fact that "Myspace", at this point of our lives is a website that could still provide artists a voice to the music scene.  MYSPACE.  What?  Although a few of his lyrics are a bit dodgy and selfish, it's all in good fun to sing along to.  Listen to: Please Don't Go, Cheated, Bow Chicka Wow Wow.

10. Kaskade - Dynasty
Kaskade will forever (in my mind) be the classiest DJ with the most classiest, efforless tunes, without any of that edgy, electro vroom vrroom I add fart noises to rowdy up the crowd crap.  Yes, I know what I've said right there was all gobbledygook but once you'll listen to his music, you'll realize what I'm saying.  Listen to: Don't Stop Dancing, Dynasty, Fire In Your New Shoes.

11. Jessica Mauboy - Get Em Girls
Aussie R&B diva has caught my eye last year with her stunning debut album, 'Been Waiting'.  I am truly amazed at how this album, yes her sophomore album was just as up to par as her last album.  Outstanding.  Listen to: Accelerate That, Saturday Night, What Happened To Us.

12. Example - Won't Go Quietly
If you are looking for some fresh, experimental, eclectic beats, yet catchy at the same time this album is for you.  Fresh out of the underground scene, Example came out with the best party smashed-singles any artist could ever have this year.  Shame his last two singles (Last Ones Standing & Two Lives) weren't exactly a hit, but you'll guaranteed to get hooked by them whilst as a wholefully listening to this album.  Listen to: Watch The Sun Come Up, Time Machine, Kickstarts.

13. Rihanna - Loud
This album is actually decent.  Maybe I was a bit too harsh critiquing this album earlier.  However, I still found this to be Rihanna weakest album since her first debut album.
Listen to: S&M, What's My Name, Only Girl (In The World)

14. Chicane - Giants
This album feels like I'm floating above the clouds, without using drugs... Anywho, this album indeed was quite listenable.  Not that this is a bad thing or any sort, but this is the best album to go to sleep. zzzzzz..  Listen to: Come Back, What I'm I Doing Here (Part 1), Giants.

15. Robyn - Body Talk
I really would have loved to rank this album higher, but since I got this album recently (a week ago, to be exact) I wouldn't think it would be fair to rank it higher than the albums I have got over the year.  With such a short period of time, I knew this album had to be on my list anyways.  Overall, this album was astounding.  Very different and unique among the many albums I've bought this year.  Listen to: Dancing On My Own, Indestructible, Time Machine, Call Your Girlfriend.

Honorable Mentions:
Plan B - The Defamation Of Strickland Banks
Mark Ronson & The Business INTL. - Record Collection
Deadmau5 - 4x4=12
Bag Raiders - Bag Raiders
Two Door Cinema Club - Tourist History

5 Worst Albums Of 2010
5. Westlife - Gravity
Too mellow, depressing, and cringeworthy.  A route Westlife needs to stop heading to, because frankly sooner or later I won't fall for this crap until they actually get back to the "Uptown Girl" days.

4. Shayne Ward - Obsession
Oh gee.  Where to start with this album?  I guess the one main aspect that lights up is the fact that he is pushing too hard to become this erupting sex pot, rather than his last effort on his album as an actual class act.

3. Usher - Usher Vs. Raymond
This album was too dull for words.  Every track (apart from OMG) seems so outdated, slow, and extremely similar to his Confessions era.  Which was what, almost ten years ago?

2. JLS - Outta This World
Youch.  Expected high hopes for this album after their first brilliant album.  What went wrong?  Well let's see, cheese, late 90 reject boy band leftover tracks.  Makes us wonder what odd dimension they were coming from?

1. Clubland 18
I should be fair and not talk about rather dull compliation albums..  Besides that, what did you think was the worst album you have heard this year?  Other than these four albums above mentioned, I have no clue which album ultimately defined as the worst (other than Clubland 18).  Comment below for suggestions!

No comments:

Post a Comment