11/17/10

The Saturdays (Headlines - Expanded Version) - Re-Re-Wordshaker?


The Sats lately has been taking over my life, becoming my ultimate girlband group of the decade/century so far (Girls Aloud who?).  I guess it's safe to say that I can evaluate this screwed up re-re-EP, (now officially an album??) after being released this month for (according to Una) 'Christmas shopping'.  This re-updated 'album' now includes an addition of their last, but suddenly forgotten, Wordshaker; which weirdly does not seem to appear at iTunes nor Amazon anymore.  (What a catastrophe really, a golden album well wasted).


01. Missing You
By far, my instant tune of Summer 2010.  I'm sure 90% of you readers will think how bizzare that statement is, but this track is such a breath of fresh air that I can't ever stop playing it over and over and over.  At first, I was a bit weary of it.  I remember thinking it being as a sloppy joe, but after the second hearing, it literally blew me away.  This song is so euphoric you can automatically feel like you're at the beach while cozying it up for winter time, it's amazing how this song have that special, certain aspect.  I must admit, I wasn't ever so keen with The Saturdays, but after hearing this single, I knew I would be hooked by their music.  Just pray, they'll be around for long. / A+

02. Ego
Probably the most corniest, yet catchiest (at the same time) Saturdays song I have ever heard.  The video is fantastic, who wouldn't want anyone to see five pair of girls dressed up as superhero costumes, whilst giving hell to their nemesis? Genius. / A

03. Higher
Another song that dominantly transformed me into a SatFan (indeed, that's what their fannies are called).  The song is just so uplifting and fun to sing along to, particularly during the chorus.  The video itself looks like their total popstars, not cause their really hot.. Or perhaps.  I'm sure if you are a fan of any genre (Indie, Techno, or even Country), you may instantly fall in love with this song.  (Or probably those who are open to any genre of music and not snobbish about one particular genre). / A+

04. Forever Is Over
I literally hated this song.  A song I would never want to hear The Saturdays sing, ever again.  It took me quite a while to actually decently like this song.  I guess after knowing how repetitively generic and safe the whole song really is, I've came to realize why it has been selected as a single.  The posh, and their way of saying 'were not one album wonders' on their video, and the use of Vanessa's overpowering vocals.  Very wise, Rochelle Wise-man. / B+

05. Died In Your Eyes
This MUST, that's a definite MUST. MUST transform and have its way as a single.  This will instantly give them another Top 10 hit, not sure as a #1, since it is unrealistically hard for them go gain one.  (Ouch)  Would totally fit for the winter occasion, so perhaps after the 'Higher' shenanigans has been over with, this would have its turn to breakout. It has it's flaws of course, but it's all in feel-good, fun pop music. / A

06. Karma
This song is a bit too ditsy and loopy for me.  I honestly did not expect this to be a Saturday track at all.  Usually I would think The Sats would do such classy songs, but this literally breaks the barrier of being such an obnoxious, middle-aged teen girl anthem.  It's quite catchy I'll admit, but Frankie's unnecessary shouting, the over excessive use of autotune, knowing who doesn't sing who, is a bit way over the top and dramatic in such an odd way. / C+

07. Puppet
The only negativity that I can point out to this song is how extremely outdated as a whole sounds like. I honestly would think that Brit-Brit could make a Top 40 hit with this back in 2001.  Again, the autotune is a bit too much, but I guess this song reflects how The Sats want to let loose and have fun.  But then again, if they wanted to make themselves as artists to be taken seriously, they shouldn't really have this song in their album.  It just makes them overall sound like a fresh, amateurish new girlband that desperately want to seek out attention to be popular.  Sorry Sats, but this is (sort of) a miss for me. / B-

08. One Shot (Starsmith Remix) 
Pretty good.  Definitely a nice-touch update to their original version found on the 'Wordshaker' album.  The only difference that stood out in this remix is the synthesizer-y, Higher-esque BM found in the chorus.  Not a definite stand out to most of these amazing, loopy tracks, but still an exciting, feel-good song to gallantly listen to. / B

09. Here Standing
Another necessary leftover track from the 'Wordshaker' album.  I'm not sure why the label is doing this to their albums, it literally makes their discography look like a dreaded mess.  Anywho, this song delivers.  I mean, to the point where you actually want to stand up to a gospel song at church and say 'hallelujah' because of how almighty this track is.  The lyrics instantly grab you with such empowering words, the climatic appeal in the chorus.  Everyone's vocals blend in together seemingly.  Of course, Vanessa's vocals are top notch on this one.  It's a shame she can't hit her glory notes live, but at least she mildly tries. All in all, this track IS The Sats' best ballad.  There's no other, including Issues, that will reach its high uberness. / A+

10. Lose Control
Yet, another toss added to the album from 'Wordshaker'.  This song is all round, fun, great for parties.  I could easily imagine this song having a video where all the girls would have a pillow fight during a sleepover in slo-motion...  In other ways to say it, single. NEED. / A+

11. Deeper
Yet, AGAIN.  (This time, I won't mention it, but you'll be able to get it now).  Uh, I'm not quite sure how this song made the cut to this.. 'Album'. Sure it's easy for them to sing this live, but the song isn't one of its best on 'Wordshaker'.  If they really wanted to choose another mid-tempo song from that album to transfer to this album, they would've gone with 'Denial' or even 'No One'.  / B

12. Higher (Feat. Flo Rida)
The version that landed this song to Top 10, which obviously is a good thing.  Flo Rida's addition to this song actually delivers.  His introduction to each of the girls is clever, a sort of a way the audience will know who is who, even when they have no clue who is who. Right? In the wise-man words of Una, 'Flo Rider' added more spark way more than it did to Una's middle-eight.  / A+

Yeah, so as a whole, I guess consumers will definitely rage if they'll find out about this Re-re-re-release thing. Probably would rage them even more if they'll be able to do it on their next.. 'Album'?  So yeah, definitely a con about this album.  Why mix the new-new with the oldies, and a few of the unnecessary?  Nuts this album really is.  Musically-wise anyways, it's a definite two up-thumbers.

B+
Available now in Amazon UK

No comments:

Post a Comment