12/18/10

Take That (The Circus) - A Real Grower


I just had to review another Take That album.  After hearing the outstanding 'Progress', my mind just instantly had to download and listen to their 'The Circus' album.  Besides, it's what 'The Circus Tour' that actually had me interested from listening to these guys (in depth) in the first place.  Honestly, if I did live somewhere in Europe I would full speed grab a hold of some Take That tickets.  But since I'm one of the minorities in my country who actually knows that this band exists, it sucks to think that I won't actually get the chance to experience one of their live tours.  Thank god for DVD's though! Seriously, if their tour such as this video...

OR this one

heck even this one

or any part they did on 'The Circus' tour does not astound anyone, then I don't know what other tour will.

Anywho, enough digression, this topic is all about their album, so before I get carried away with their mindboggling tour, here is 'The Circus'.

01. The Garden
The constructed elephant just sums up the image I have everytime I listen to this song.  I don't know how Take That seems to put such an emotional state in my mind to this song.  It gets me everytime.  Just reminds me of the little things in life.  Aye, touchy feelings, eck.  Jeez, I wish there were more tracks like these out there, in seriousness. / A+

02. Greatest Day
"Stay close to me.  Watch the world come alive tonight.  Stay close to me."  What powering lyrics.  It's songs like this one sounds like I'm listening to a Christian album (but less about religion :S ).  Really inspirational, touchy, and uplifting.  The music video itself is brave.  The four of them on top of what seems like a cityscape, 200th floor building in the middle of L.A (I'm guessing) was very bold and brave of them.  If there was ever a time I would doubt myself from having a bad day, this song would always be there to hold me back. / A+

03. Hello
Another song I'd happily tend to sing along to pass the time by on a regular day.  Something I could hear at a musical, because of how theatric it sounds like.  Strangely, this song reminds me of something The Beatles could've wrote forty years ago.  Such nostalgia this song is. / A+

04. Said It All
It took me awhile to like this song.  I guess I've changed perspective when I saw the music video of it.  Really simple, yet captivating.  I love how it's just them performing by goofing around in an empty arena with no audience.  Really speaks depth in what the song is reflecting about.  / A-

05. Julie
Wasn't quite unsure of this song at first.  The album overall just started to feel a bit same-y and not that much analysis on how technically different each song delivers.  But then again, of course this song grows on me as it has on other songs in the album.  The 'shalala' chant is just brilliant.  I wouldn't think any other member in the group but Mark to attack this song.  This just shows how he really is the backbone of the group.  His voice has such a rich, unique register that definitely stands out of the four. / A-

06. The Circus
This song really shows why Barlow is the main man of the band.  He evokes so much emotion in this song, his tender and gracious voice suits this song perfectly.  In general, Gary is the most well-rounded and best technical singer of the group with no question.  His voice is just too mature for his age, at first I would think this would be sung by a much older artist, like Barry Manilow or Elton John. / A

07. How Did It Come To This
Jason Orange's most admirable, most outstanding track he has ever done (and there's not that much, really :/).   The tonguetwisting lyrics just had me wanting to learn every single line of this song.  Just in general, him singing this song live was why I actually wanted to memorize the lyrics.  Besides that, there were some terms like OCD or schizophrenic that reminded me of psychology class... I honestly don't see the point why I've said that, but at least I'm learning something about psychology in this song? / A+

08. Up All Night
Not a standout track, really.  It's odd how the songs they've chosen as singles (except Greatest Day) are the ones I least like on this album.  I'm not saying their awful, just the fact that they wouldn't be my ideal image of them released.  They just don't seem like fitting singles that would be successful in the charts... Their still brilliant, just not single material enough. / B

09. What Is Love
I was quite gutted when I heard this one.  One, being Howard's 1/2 solo track and two, the song being too safe and mellow for me to actually get into it.  Howard's a brilliant vocalist, especially when he proves it during the end of the song, but this song is just too bland and predictable. / C

10. You
The verses are a bit hit-and-miss for me.  At days I would find it brilliant, then at some days I would just fast forward it to the 'Yoooooooooou' part.  But since Barlow has that vocal ability to captivate me into believing the feeling of this song, I can't complain at all. / A-

11. Hold Up A Light
Watch this on 'The Circus' tour, and you will definitely experience something magical, memorable, and incredible. / A+

12. Here
Honestly, Hold Up A Light would be such a perfect song to end this album.  This song just feels more of a filler, perhaps to showcase more of Howard?  This song lyrically is meaningful, thoughtful and deep, but this style of this song isn't really my cup of tea. / B-

13. She Said (Hidden Track)
What a cheeky track this is, haha!  This song really shouldn't be taken seriously, just in all silly fun and love making. (Mhmhmhmhm) / N/A

So there you have it, 'The Circus'.  At each day of listening to both 'Progress' and this album, I tend to overanalyze and think of which album is better.  But by all means, I wouldn't think it's fair to compare the two.  'Progress' is an album that showcases the band's ability to cope with Robbie again, and start with an album that's fresh and new from the style they were always known to be perceived.  Which is, a sort of a contemporary rock, balladry, inspirational and uplifting kind of music.  By saying that, that is clearly what 'The Circus' provides us.

What I recommend?
Listen to: The Garden, Greatest Day, Hello, The Circus, How Did It Come To This, Hold Up A Light

A

No comments:

Post a Comment