11/16/10

Rihanna (Loud) - Least Favorable?


Despite hearing Only Girl constantly everyday and not getting sick of it at all actually made me believe that this album was going to be the best Rihanna album I will ever hear.  However, I did not expect to the album to be just as.. Average.  It DOES actually have it moments, but most of the time I just question how dull some of these tracks here are.  Don't get too fooled with the album title either.  Listening to the album a bit too 'loudly' might actually be a pain...


01. S&M
The 'na-na-na' part extremely annoyed me at first.  Then after a few listens, I realized that's the spark that makes the song such an anthem.  The only part that actually, and never won't like, annoys is when she weirdly says 'S&M' after the chorus.  Bleeck.  The lyrics are a bit awkward and weird to listen to as well.. (Sex in the air, but I love the smell it)  Nevertheless, with the exception of such an insanely catchy synth BM, what a great way to start off an album. / B  

02. What's My Name (Feat. Drake)
Still find this 'single' frustratingly average. / C+

03. Cheers (Drink To That)
I'm a bit baffled at how she sampled Avril's 'I'm With You'.  I honestly don't think anyone should sample that song, which is why... I don't really find anything outstanding or anything about this song.  Filler much? / B-

04. Fading
Finally a decent song to relax and enjoyable listen to thoroughly.  The hard, clappy beats fit well with the song.  The 'fe-eh-eh-ading' part is ace, the chorus overall. Still a bit generic, but at least it's a song that's well worth listening to. / B+

05. Only Girl (In The World)
Disappointingly, I find this song the best record on this album.  I honestly expected for club, eurodance-y type of songs on this album, but sadly this (other than S&M, sort of) is the only one. / A+

06. California King Bed
Probably the worst Rihanna song I have ever heard.. Ever.  I dislike how generically safe and typically the melody is, her voice dying out of air, the whole atmosphere of this song is borderline... Corrnyy. / D

07. Man Down
RiRi back to her Barbadian roots, I think... Not as great as 'Rude Boy' if you look at that perspective.  Eh, it's just another filler track to this album.  / C

08. Raining Men (Feat. Nicki Minaj)
I don't know how I feel about this song.  The 'falling in the rain so we ain't running out' is a bit clever and catchy, but that's pretty much it that's good about this song.  Nicki and her quirky rap skills doesn't help improve this song as much either. / B-
  
09. Complicated
This must be the next single!  Meaningful lyrics, powerful, and catchy.  Hear shouting during the chorus gets a bit irritating, but it works oddly enough. Might also add, I honestly did not expect that kind of thud-y beat starting at the second chorus.  That's how you make a climax right there! / A

10. Skin
Another great song.  Finally a good song after another, thank goodness.  This song really gets you in the mood to get seductive, if you're that kind (ain't nothing wrong with that).  Great sensual, slow, 'Birthday Sex' type of song. / B

11. Love The Way You Lie (Part 2)
A TRILLION times better than having that dude rap 90% of the song.  Very touching, the lyrics really translate through, and Rihanna delivers them deeply and clearly.  The only part I am obviously not keen on is that dude's part, too angry and omfg-im-gonna-punch-someone-in-the-face-for-a-certain-reason for my liking.  Hope it's not a single, because I'm painfully sick of "Part One", not saying that this "Part Two" is that bad though.  / A

This album just doesn't compare to the almighty 'Good Girl Gone Bad' album, and surprisingly as well as 'Rated R'.  If you think about it, GGGB had all the perfect uptempo, solid ballads whilst 'Rated R' had her greatest songs lyrically, but where does this album stand?  This album might as well be claimed as the 'filler album' overall within the discography of her career.  As an overall feel to this album, everything just felt so inconsistent and unmemorable.

C+
Available Now in Amazon

No comments:

Post a Comment