11/13/10

Take That (Progress) - Outstanding


Words can't express how amazing this album really is.  The complex harmonies, the effortlessness on each of their voices, top quality tracks overall.  This I believe, is THE best album I have ever heard in years.  Knowing that I actually love all the tracks.. Or actually, I'm lying, I only dislike one track (silly man).  But what that means to me is that, I can actually keep this album and nurture it for the ages to come in my life.  If I'm being honest, I was never really a Take That fan, aside from loving two of their singles, Rule The World and Greatest Day, but after literally watching the whole disc (on youtube, of course) of their Circus live tour in Wembley Arena, I was completely astounded by how courageous and amazing they performed and presented themselves to such a massive audience.  Obviously, I knew they've been around for two decades, but I didn't realize how outstanding they actually perform live.  Anyways, let's just move on, and while I write, allow me to digest and soak on how each of these tracks had an effect on transforming me into a Take That fan.


01. The Flood
To be honest, I wasn't so keen with this song at all.  I thought it was a bit predictable, and mostly suited for the old folks.  After being convinced by watching their 'Circus Tour', I took the effort and time to finally grab into the song, and I realized how class this song really is.  I love how the verses were a bit tamed, and nothing seeming to appear. But after the bridge (where Gary sings his part), it becomes more dynamic and unexpected I just knew that the chorus would be just as brilliant as the bridge is, and of course, the chorus strides on as being full-throttling and fulfilling as ever. / A+ 


02. S.O.S.
The fact of having such smooth transitions to the next song (the cruds of thunder escalating to the next song) automatically brownie points.  Such stomping, rock track this one.  The two singers, particularly Robbie and Mark was a clever idea for them to sing this track.  Williams has such a demanding, authorative voice, which is all you need to tackle on such an anthem, rock track; whilst Mark having that quirky, edgy tone to his voice fills in the gap.  The repetitive chorus, will drill you in an instant. / A+


03. Wait
Love, love how I wasn't expecting such a hip, edgy, 90's urban throwback on this album.  Besides that, collectively, it's cool, relaxing, fun, and downright, feel-good.  In addition, the lyrics and that haunting piano piece during the chorus has such a dark, delighting side to this song.  Prepare to stomp for the next smash. / A+


04. Kidz
Sounds like a sort of alternative, dance-y, dodgy Goldfrapp type of song.  Clever as ever.  Anywho, this, in fact will be another solid tune that will surely drill your mind as you gallantly chant over the 'hey hey hey's and the 'la la la la' parts.  Very twisty, edgy, and extraordinarily sensational. Single material for sure. / A+

05. Pretty Things
Another song that took me awhile to grow into.  What's especially brilliant about this one is how it's still electro-y, that at the same time, it effortlessly feels such an excellent, soft mood track.  Amazing how both Gary's deep voice and Robbie's higher registered tone seemingly harmonized well together. / A


06. Happy Now
Such a different-feel to this song.  Very heavy, dark during the verses, but suddenly transitioning as a 'happy' tune during the chorus.  A-Amazing.  Similar to The Flood, it was quite unexpected how the melody went during the chorus.  More so, the oozy vocals filled in the versus is brilliant.  Love, love, love how this album can excite you with such odd melodies that artists these days can't even think of.  This is why this album is incredibly mind blowing so far! / A+

07. Underground Machine
Now, this actually is the track that I found my least favorite.  Still brilliantly different, but there's an itch in Robbie's voice that irritates me.  The 'boy meets girl and the girl meets the boy' part is a bit too silly and general for me.  I like the concept with the lyrics in this song; which in slightly topic, in some tracks on this album, I completely misunderstand what they're talking about.  So, brownie points for actually knowing what this song's about.  The song, overall, is tad too out there for me. / B-

08. What Do You Want From Me
Yet, another song I had to adjust to.  There was just something about that chrous that kind floated a bit off for me. I found that Mark's voice was a bit whiny, and excruciatingly to hear.  I still do, but in a sort of way, I actually appreciate it.  There's quite a reason why he has done it.  I mean, the fact that the lyrics fit into him to be frustrated and exclamatory with his loved one is reasonable why he has that certain tone to this song.  For this reason, that as a whole made me appreciate the song even more. Quite catchy as heck too, particularly the verses. / A-

09. Affirmation
Howard, pretty much the least (aside from Jason) used Take That member on the album.  Which, is great, because I'm actually tired hearing the same voices (stares at Mark & Robbie) for quite a bit.  Such a feel-good, anthem track that I can easily see in some random Guitar Hero/Rock Band game.  The part where Howard repeats the word 'complete' is a bit hilarious to listen to.  Sounds a bit like Huckleberry Hound.. (LOL) Anywho, awesome track nevertheless. / A+

10. Eight Letters
The total ballad in the package.  Again, one of the few relevant tracks in the album that stand out to what style of music they usually go for (ie. contemporary pop-rock) , but then (again), clever lyrics all in all.  Very pleasant full in and throughout. Eight letters, who would ever thought anyone could think of that other than simply saying it. 143 anyone? / A


11. Flowerbed (Hidden Track)
The other forgotten member finally shines his way in this hidden track, which peaks in by not too long.  Probably less than thirty seconds or so.  The track starts off very intergalactic-y, yet cool at the same time.  For thinking of it much as a filler track, this song seals it not to be because of how enchanting, bright, and effortlessly beautiful this song encounters to be.  / A

At first, I wasn't quite sure if it was a great idea to have this album, but after listening to each of the tracks individually, I noticed how certain lyrics on some tracks could literally loop around my head for hours, whilst other tracks allowing me to have a certain type feeling or emotion.  To me, listening to this album feels like I'm on another planet. Having said this, 'Progress' is an album that is such quality and it has an incredible ability  to make me feel more optimistic oh how brilliant pop music can be in the future.  Just, brilliant.

What I recommend?
Listen to: Every track except for Underground Machine. Sorry Rob. :(

A+
Now Available in Amazon UK

No comments:

Post a Comment